You'll never believe it, but this casserole originated in a hospital cafeteria. It's definitely the best cafeteria food I've ever eaten. It's full of great flavors and ingredients--cheese, ground beef, biscuits-- a bit of everything! My family prefers it without the onion, peppers, and tomatoes, so I make it without them, but I'm sure it's just as delicious with them added in. Tell me how you like it!
John Wayne Casserole
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions, and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, and half of onions, and set aside.
4. Stir biscuit mix and water (directions on box) to form soft dough. Pat dough on bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 11x17-inch greased casserole dish
5. Saute remaining onions and bell peppers until slightly tender
6. On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, green peppers, onions, jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned.